Saturday, February 09, 2008

19 days since we met Ricky.....

wow...it seems like yesterday literally.

How are things going? well to say things are all rosy and good, I would be lying.

Do not think that this is easy. It is probably one of the most difficult things I have done.

Ricky is a little toddler in the mind of an infant. Sure his movements are of a 17 month old, but his brain is really probably 9-12 months old -maybe younger. I'm not concerned about this - he will catch up in time. I called Georgia's Baby's Can't Wait program for an early evaluation. I'm not sure he will qualify for anything but I would like an experts opinion. We also moved up his pediatrician appointment from Wednesday to Monday.

The period of adjustment for all of us will go on for a long period of time. We have been home a week - Ricky has slept through the night once. It doesn't help right now, we believe he has 2 to 3 teeth coming through. Friday was full of temper tantrums as we try to set some limits on what he can and cannot do. He is very very active. Cannot sit still for more than a minute or two unless he is eating. Everything is so new for him.

Friday was tough but there are glimmers of good moments. He has a great smile and laugh. I can just hope that these glimmers turned into minutes and minutes into hours and hours into days.

So if you ask me if I'm happy - I might give a small smile or might even say not really. Does it mean I regret what we did? No. He is our son. He will be our joy just like Emily is our joy. It will just take time. I know this. He is our son.

6 comments:

Mei Mei Journal said...

Hi Jen,
We have Paige scheduled for an Early Intervention Evaluation also. We are taking it day by day here and planning a big Disney vacation for next year so we can celebrate how far we have come. All the effort we are putting in with these little ones who have missed out on so much, is an invaluable investment. Keep us posted on Ricky's progress.
April

Cavatica said...

Yes, keep us posted on Ricky's progress. It sounds tough. I remember when we came home and were going through jet lag, being sick, etc. It was hard, but it gets better. He's a dear.

Michele said...

I'm sure he will qualify for the early intervention and you will be able to see great progress in the months to come. A good friend's daughter also came home at 17 months and she is doing fabulous now at almost 4.

It won't be long and you will be feeling like he has been with you forever. Stock up on the coffee and choloclate. They will help you get through practically any rough time.

Hugs!

Snowflowers Mum said...

Thanks for being so frank...it is a difficult adjustment...and it helps to hear this from BTDT parents. We are going to China in the next month or so and we know how hard it will be...but we dont really 'know'...I will be trying to prepare myself before we go...tidy the house, cook some extra meals..

Hayley

Diane said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time. Hang in there! It's all going to be ok. Better than ok. It's all going to be great.

taiwanbaby said...

Hi Jen,

I found your site through the Hoppe site. we are the parents of a Fuling also. She came home in Jan of 2006 and was 13m. I had a tough time adjusting to her and to having two kids. Have you read anything on post adoptive depression. I dealt with it for about 4-5 months after we got home. lots of changes for him, but also for you. make sure your getting some quality YOU time.

Cari L