Friday, May 16, 2008

So Sad....

I have been wanting to write about the earthquake in China but it is just soooo sad. NPR has probably some of the "best" pictures. I hate to write best but it definitely puts into perspective. In addition in the NPR diary of Chengdu there is a radio broadcast of the news reporter joining a mom and dad to find their 2 year old son who was with his grandparents. Not a happy ending.

The epicenter was in Sichuan Province. Ricky is from Chongqing. Chongqing use to be part of Sichuan then it broke off. A few hundred miles. So this does hit close to home for us. Ricky's orphanage Fuling was damaged. I'm told it is their new building - no children were in it yet.

I know that Ricky will never know his birthparents. There is no information. But now I feel like there might be another layer of his heritage gone. Where were they from? His birthparents could have very traveled very far from their home so that they couldn't be traced. They could have been from Sichuan Province.

It is just sad.

What can I do...

Well we have donated to Half the Sky (www.halfthesky.org). They work directly with orphanages. There will be new orphans plus parents without children. I sincerely hope that these new orphans and grieving parents find peace and the strength to get through this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is quite sad. And unfortunately, it is how the earth works sometimes. Really makes you think that we are merely visitors on a planet with a plan of her own.

Anonymous said...

It is quite sad. And unfortunately, it is how the earth works sometimes. Really makes you think that we are merely visitors on a planet with a plan of her own.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I cannot even begin to fathom this whole thing.. though there are other 'disasters' in the world, I think I take more notice of this cause I have invested so much time, money, emotion into China... that somewhere in the huge country is my daughter just waiting

Cavatica said...

I've had similar thoughts, as Snowflake is from Chongqing too. I imagine her birth parents being from near the orphanage, but like you say, they could have traveled a long way.