Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ramblings


I go to the same Chinese Take-Out Restaurant for the past year. It is on my way home. It is one of those places that this in a strip mall -- not a real sit down place but more of just take-out. I have been going there for probably over a year and half.
I have this overwhelming need to want to talk to them. The restaurant is run by a family. The son is probably first generation american. They have an adorable little baby girl in the family.
Am I weird? I have kept my big mouth shut so far but it is very tempting.
Also, our town isn't as hick as I thought it was. I have concerned about racial diversity in Emily's school. If we stay in the same area, there is some concern. I didn't think there were any Asian Children in her school. The school population must be 90% white. Recently, I saw one Asian child. We were also eating in a local southern cooking restaurant. I saw 2 Asian boys with their caucusian parents. I think they might have been Korean. OK I know not big but at least it is a start.
I also found out that I'm not the only Jew in town. Several members of our Temple live out our way. I guess they are the ones buying up all the Hanukkah stuff in the local supermarket.

6 comments:

wzgirl said...

I'd say listen to that little voice encouraging you to talk to this family. You may be pleasantly surprised! XO

Anonymous said...

Ever wonder what they will say when you walk in with an Asian kid one day? I think about that when we go out for Chinese food to our local place.

"M2" said...

I think about this too. I have a take out place on my way home from work and am dying to say something.
I watched them coddle 2 little girls (china adoptees) one day while they were eating in the restaurant and wanted to say
Me too Me too! but instead ended up crying in my hot and sour soup.

Diane said...

My husband runs a restaurant at Cumberland Mall. A woman associated with the Chinese New Year event that happened at Civic Center came in one night. He told her about our adoption. She wrote down all these words in Chinese for him and recommended a place to visit in Hunan, should we get a child from Hunan.

"M" said...

It's so funny because I stuggle with this same urge when I go to this little carry out place by my office. I debate in the car as I drive if I should say something that day, or maybe ask them for help with pronounciation when I get my referral. This week I made a baby step and wished the woman a happy new year and asked her a few random questions about how she celebrates the holiday.

Kelly (Mike, Zane and Mia Jade) said...

I had my nails done yesterday (for our CNY celebrations tonight - yeah) and I started talking to them about our adoption. They were from Vietnam but still they were so excited to ask me about our adoption. I think you should tell those at the Chinese restaurant. They'd probably love it and you may get extra noodles out of it!