Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Putting Things into Perspective

When I need to put things into perspective, I tend to read stories (or in this case a blog) about other people's battles for survival. I find that it helps me put things into perspective about my life and my own troubles. It is a dose of reality that I need to kick myself in the ass and say you know what Jen, it isn't so bad. In the past, I have read about Holocaust survivor stories. I read these with a passion. The ability to survive such a horrible act and come out it still human is amazing. I'm not sure if I would have the strength. It also reminds me what people will do on because you are not the same race or religion. One of the major items, I hope to teach my children is that it doesn't matter what race or religion someone is -- they are person and we respect them. Bill and I are the perfect example how two people of different religions can respect and love each other. With the addition of the new baby, we bring a new mix into the picture. We can love each other no matter what race you are. We have already begun to teach Emily about how her new brother or sister will be of a different skin color and how she won't look like us but it is what is in your heart and how you are as a person that counts.

Back to perspective.....

Somebody sent me this blog of a family battling cancer -- their 6 year old daughter's cancer battle. I have been following their story. When I think I have it rough I remember Maria. No family especially no child should go through this.

http://prayersformaria.com/

There are a couple of videos on the right that pretty much summarize her journey. Please think about Maria when you think you have a bad day or things are not going right. It puts things into persective.

Finally, I'm not sure why but today I have been thinking alot about my mother-in-law, Pat, who we lost to breast cancer almost 6 years ago. Pat was in her early 50's when she died. Her life was just too short, I miss her very much. She didn't get to know Emily. Emily was 7 months old when Pat died. Pat would have loved Emily at this age. I truly believe Pat held onto life to see Emily be born. Our new baby will be named after Pat -- Tricia or Patrick. I hope that her spirit lives on in them.

Jen

1 comment:

"M" said...

I have had the same fixation with reading Holocaust stories to help put things in perspective. I always think about what it is that makes some people survive and thrive, while others shut down. Know we are together in our journeys.